The List

This wasn’t the easiest thing to put together.  Go ahead and try it sometime.  I’m not talking about putting together a “bucket list” of stuff that you’d like to do before you die.  That isn’t what this project is about at all.  It’s about building a list of experiences that will challenge, enlighten, scare the crap out of, etc, etc…all in the span of a year.  Hell, less than a year because I was slacking in getting this journal/blog built.

Not to bring it down a notch, but cost even factored into it.  It’s all well and good to say that I’d like to fly to Fiji and go spear fishing with the natives, but guess who doesn’t have the coin to hop a $1,300 + flight to a remote island.  This guy.  That being said, some things on here won’t cost much, some will cost nothing and if I screw one or two of them up, it’ll cost me my life.

Pretty fair trade if you ask me.

As I get into actually checking things off the list, I’ll be sure to explain why that particular item is on the list at all.  I know that you folks needed more insight into my odd little world so why not oblige.  Bet you’re excited.

Without further ado, The List:

1. Throw myself out of a perfectly good plane
  2. Time to get some ink. Go and get a tattoo
  3. Lose 31 pounds
  4. Run in a 5k
  5. Take the Motorcycle Safety Course and earn my license
  6. Visit another country (Canada counts!)
  7. Take a few guitar lessons
  8. Inspire someone else to start a #x# list
  9. Brew my own beer (solo or with a group of friends)
  10. Scan and organize all my photos
  11. Give blood (in a donation sense)
  12. Learn to snowboard
  13. Participate in a competition
  14. Hit up a food festival
  15. Pick up the tab for a complete stranger’s meal at a restaurant without them knowing
  16. Treat myself to a massage
  17. Do some whitewater rafting
  18. Go camping by myself
  19. Inspire a stranger via Post Secret
  20. Milk a cow…drink that milk
  21. Don’t curse/cuss/swear for a month
  22. Take a cooking class
  23. Go to church with my friends
  24. Vegas for a weekend without booking a hotel room…just go and rock out
  25. Have an article published in the local paper
  26. Play some paintball
  27. Spend a day volunteering with Habitat for Humanity or other worthy cause
  28. Go deep sea fishing
  29. Catch a bass (small or large mouth)
  30. Reconnect with an old long lost friend
  31. TBD

There you have it.

This is the time where if you’re reading this, you comment on how you’d like to help out with one of them, tag along with others…that kind of thing.

16 Responses to “The List”

1. Rhia December 7, 2010 at 1:37 pm #

This is a great idea – while I’m considering making one myself, I’m also intrigued to see that I’ve done some of the things on your list that I’d never consider as things other people would want to add to a list!

Also; COME TO VANCOUVER!

• SZimmermann December 7, 2010 at 1:54 pm #

Last I checked, Vancouver was in Canada….it would count!

2. Jess December 7, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

I’m sorely tempted to say I’ll man (woman?) up and help you with number 8, now that I have the netbook and some spare time I have zero excuses not to keep up with the food stuff AND get a wiggle on with a List.

I’ll ponder the possibilities!

3. Kyle N. December 7, 2010 at 2:22 pm #

Dibs on #17 and #26

4. Josiah December 7, 2010 at 2:36 pm #

Very good list, with many positive ideas to better yourself.
    I can totally relate to your negativity surrounding your own birthday.

5. Ed December 7, 2010 at 4:32 pm #

oh man, where do i start? great list! and i’ll agree its brought into perspective some of those things i’ve done that i felt were mundane, but other people will consider personally fulfilling. we’ll have to get together soon to ponder this.

6. SZimmermann December 7, 2010 at 4:39 pm #

Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys. I really do appreciate it.

It is worth mentioning that there are a bunch of things on the list that I have done in the past. Things like whitewater rafting, deep sea fishing and a few others. The list is made up of things that I either 1) haven’t done for a long while or 2) things I have never done yet want to do.

But yea, the response to this has been great so far. Thanks!

7. Plut December 12, 2010 at 4:08 pm #

Just on a personal note, definitely keep on that Donate Blood one. It’s quick, it’s easy, and it definitely saves lives. I myself needed 3 pints in October. I’ve given blood every chance I have been able to for a lot of years. Do it. It’s easy. And it’s something you can feel proud of.

Oh, and if you milk that cow and then drink the milk, you may want to use your finger and skim a tiny bit of the foam off. It tends to collect.. stuff. Hairs, dirt, etc.

8. siiiiiddd December 13, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

you’ll probably want to do number 11 before number 2

9. Dan December 13, 2010 at 5:54 pm #

You know… I may need an extra hand come spring/summer for a Prep cook when I enter BBQ competitions.

13 and 14 checked right there.

And deep sea fishing? I’m betting Ed and I could get that handled in March.

as for Paintball, well, I just so happen to know a guy who played Pro-Am for 6 years…. (hint: it’s me.)

10. Elyse Kauffman December 13, 2010 at 9:43 pm #

Hmmm…I needed a website to reply? Well, I don’t have one of those…sorry!

Okay, I’ll run that 5K with you. Weight Watchers works…especially if you are looking at something like 31 pounds. Believe me, it works.

My husband jumped out of a plane…he said it was crazy nuts, but was glad he did it. Somewhere near the West Chester area or Chester County? Let me know if you want the details.

You are more than welcome to volunteer for the S. June Smith Center (www.sjunesmith.org) anytime! I’ll find something for you.

And, if you are looking for a church, I’d reccomend LCBC or you can always come and check out ours! http://www.otterbeinchurch.com (Mount Wolf, PA).

Go get ‘em! Your list is inspiring, but I am still not ready to commit to such a thing! I’ll enjoy hearing about your finished tasks instead. ;)

11. Kristen January 4, 2011 at 10:35 pm #

#8 – I’m in
    #18 – I practically wrote the book on this. Let me know if you need pointers.
    #2 – If you need a recommendation…

Now, where do I sign up to do this list? I want one.

Looking forward to staying up with your progress. You always find a way to be funny, informative and oddly inspiring at the same time.

• SZimmermann January 5, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

Well thank you very much, Kristen!

At some point in the near future I’m going to do a write up on #8 as I’ve had a number of people tell me that they’re all about it, which is awesome.

#18 – I’ll keep it in mind. I’ve done a lot of camping, but it’s been a long time since I did the solo thing. Should be good to get back into it.

#2 – This is something I’ll have to check in with you on. I found a place in Philly that I really dig the vibe of and they do some outstanding work. When the time comes, I’ll be sure to ask ya.

12. Nikki February 2, 2011 at 10:09 am #

Cross off no. 8! It’s posted!! xoxo

13. Eric February 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

This is brilliant. I’m inspired. I’m also available to help knock 1, 2, 4, 13, 26 off your list.

14. Rachael Norman March 3, 2011 at 4:58 pm #

I love this idea! You’ve inspired me to start one of my own as well – so that’s mutiple crossing’s off of #8!

Mine might be 30 before 30…..which is two years away, so a do-able 15 items a year! (is this considered cheating?…possibly)

Good luck with them, and if you decide to make #6 a trip to the UK, look Kat and I up!…you’ll be glad to know that we no longer require a prop when we go drinking, so you’re safe from that angle!

R